Sunday, August 8, 2010

My Big Gay Wedding

Hello world.  I have started this blog because I want to start a global diary about my life.  I don't know who will follow this but hey, surprise me!  Some topics you can look forward to are, in no specific order, my son E, the fact that I feel I have to just call him E so as to protect him against the crazy people of the world, the adoption of E and how important I feel adoption is, various family stuff, my aging greyhound, the australian cattledog we adopted, and friends, making sure to keep names out to protect the usually guilty. 

The first topic to share with all of you will be my thoughts, ideas, and aspirations of my upcoming wedding to the love of my life, Andy.  This will take up most of the blog space in the next few months because its taking up a large portion of my personal life.  I hope, in turn, you share your thoughts and ideas too! 

So, a few minutes to catch you up on our story...Andy and I have been together for almost 13 years now.  We have a 4 year old son, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 3 fish and a mortgage.  So, we're doing it backwards!  Why, you ask?  Well, because Andy is Andrew...and 13 years ago, gay marriage wasn't exactly main stream yet.  Not that it is main stream now but its further along and I'm ready to help make it more main stream than ever. 

That didn't stop Andy from asking me to marry him a few months after we met but to me, that was a bit early so I turned him down.  (Wow, I hear all the boos from here...chill out people!).  He said he understood, but the next time, it was my turn.  On October 9, 2009 (his birthday) in the VIP entrance to the Haunted Mansion in Walt Disney World (where we first met on Nov 25, 1997), I got down on my knee, produced a ring and asked him to marry me.  I can't believe how NERVOUS I was but there was nothing to be nervous about.  He said yes!!

So, since that day, Andy and I (must give Andy much deserved credit...mostly he)...have been planning our big day, Saturday Oct 23, 2010.  There are two reasons I'm sharing this info with the world.  One, to share with other same-sex couples the challenges we've faced as we plan this big event.  We haven't faced as much as I originally expected but I hope that in a few years, I will look back on this blog and see how far we've all come in how people see same sex marriage.  And, two, I want to share some interesting ideas, thoughts, unexpected obstacles, etc. that we've had over the past year planning this wedding.  My hope is that you, in turn, share your thoughts with me.  I'd love to hear what you, collective world, have to say. 

2 comments:

  1. Happy First Blog! ;) I am happy that you are writing and will be sharing with us. I look forward to many posts from you. I am also very happy for both Andy and yourself on your upcoming wedding. It is going to be an amazing day for both of you. Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CK, thank you so much for doing this! I can't wait to read more! The world is changing, and 50 years from now, people will look at you and Andy the way we today look at the civil rights pioneers of the 1950's and 60's. The two struggles are not exactly the same, but the fundamental premise rings clear: separate is not equal. Anything less than full marriage equality is still unfair. Thank you for living your life in the open (as much as common sense will allow) and for bringing home the fact that falling in love and wanting to raise a family are not a "straight thing" or a "gay thing" but a human thing... and that's, to quote Martha, "a good thing!"

    ReplyDelete